Saturday, September 17, 2011

Old Friends

What constitutes an "Old Friend"? Do you need to be old to have an "Old Friend"?

 My daughter was writing a hand written letter the other day and I asked her who she was writing. She said she was writing to an "Old Friend". I laughed at first because she is not yet 14 and to me she is not old enough to have an "Old Friend". She explained that she had know this person for about 10 yrs and therefore they were "Old Friends" They shared a history of secrets and stories so they were good friends but I had never thought of them as "Old Friends" before.

I have many friends that I have known for the better part of 40 yrs and I consider us "Old Friends". I don't like to think of myself as "Old" ( I don't think anyone really does want to be known as old) but we also share a history and that makes us good friends that have know each other a long time.

I have newer friends that I have known for less than 5 yrs but they have quickly become close friends. They are the same age as me but I don't think we are yet at "Old Friends" status. Maybe we are. We share memories, history ( albeit brief) and trust.

 Trust is the most important thing. If you trust someone with your deepest secrets and the painful memories not just the joys and happy memories then they are truly "Old Friends".

I believe that "Old Friends" are not classified by how long you've know the person, how old you are, how old they are, or even how often you see them. I believe "Old Friends" are classified by how much you trust them with your "Old" wounds and new ones.




No comments:

Post a Comment