Thursday, October 13, 2011

My First Marriage

They are a great couple.
She is in her late forties and he in his mid fifties. When they asked me if I'd preform their wedding I was honored and delighted.They had lived together for years and the world already saw them as united but they wanted to make it "official". They didn't have any specific requests about the ceremony and asked that I just make it short and sweet.


I thought long and hard about the words to say. I thought about the years these two were together and all  they had already been through. I thought about what ,in my mind, makes a great marriage. I remember the troubles that they both dealt with before they met and after they met. I remembered the doctors visits when they were there for each other. and I recalled the special little things they did for each other to show the love they shared.

I read a book once by Steve Harvey called "Act like a lady think like a man". In it he said there were 3 things a man should do: Profess, Protect and Provide. I read about the "Psalms woman" and the list of things a woman should do for her husband. I incorporated these into the vows that I shared at the ceremony.He had done these three things already for her. She had already done these things for him.

I let the people that gathered that day know that these two shared their life in such a way as to make love real.

I am proud to be part of the union of this man and woman.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment